Sunday, November 18, 2012

Difference between "try", "attempt", "strive" and "endeavor"

Try and Attempt
"Try" and "attempt" can be used interchangeably. Both mean "to make an attempt or an effort to do something", but "attempt" is more formal that "try".
  • I don't know if I can do it, but I'll try
  • The prisoners attempted an escape, but failed.

Strive
"Strive" suggests a great effort to achieve or get something.
  • I strived to be the first to climb the mountain.

Endeavor
"Endeavor" suggests a serious and continuing effort to do something.
  • I endeavored to do well in school.
  • The teacher endeavors to inspire a love of learning in his students.

7 comments:

  1. it's very nice site,,,love to visit....me from pakistan

    add me on face book

    https://www.facebook.com/freed.bird.10

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much. I endeavoured to learn well in english. I'm really happy finding this site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks a lot, it was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Goog explanation.
    Example:
    I attempted to leave Colombia alive, but... failed

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...